A duplicate site ID … error in Event Log after moving Content Databases.


After moving the content database to another SQL Server, I started getting the following message in the event log every hour : “A duplicate site ID … was found. This might be caused by restoring a content database from one server farm into a different server farm without first removing the original database and then running stsadm -o preparetomove. If this is the cause, the stsadm -o preparetomove command can be used with the -OldContentDB command line option to resolve this issue.”

Nice and simple and even a recommended solution in the error message – except that it wouldn’t work. After a lot of additional searching I turned up this command, which did work:

stsadm -o sync -DeleteOldDatabases 0

I am reposting it here because of how hard it was to find in the first place.  For what its worth, the full syntax of this is:


stsadm -o sync
{-ExcludeWebApps <web applications> |
-SyncTiming <schedule(M/H/D:value)> |
-SweepTiming <schedule(M/H/D:value)> |
-ListOldDatabases <days> |
-DeleteOldDatabases <days>}

The original answer was posted by Vikram Garlapati.

Advertisements

Posted on March 1, 2007, in SharePoint. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s