In SharePoint 2010, there was a wonderful option called “Sign in as Different User” that would allow you to quickly, easily and painlessly switch user accounts in the browser without losing your place on a site. This worked wonderfully for developers and for Admins where they have multiple IDs. However, it confused the average user and Click to read the full post
The October 2012 Cumulative Update for SharePoint is out and Microsoft continues to release the list of changes in so many fragments that it is nearly impossible to answer the simple question of what has changed. So, I’ve tried to pull all of the October changes into a single place, like I did back in August. Click to read the full post
The August 2012 Cumulative Update for SharePoint 2010 is out. However, for some reason, the folks at Microsoft have not yet seen fit to release a single list that shows all of the changes contained in a Cumulative Update. Instead, they issue two Knowledge Base articles that each in turn include a list of links to other knowledge base articles and sometimes those link to still other knowledge base articles. Oh, and sometimes they include still more links to other knowledge base articles in the list of fixes! All of this adds up to make answering the relatively obvious and simple question of “What has been fixed?” a great deal more time consuming than it should be.
Since I have to look at all of the changes anyway, I just went ahead and bundled them up Click to read the full post
One of the more annoying quirks with dealing with SharePoint is that once you develop a solution that requires custom code, all dependencies are then tied to the Strong Name of the compiled DLL. That strong name also includes the version number, usually 22.214.171.124, and cannot be changed without breaking all existing references. This is a good thing from a compatibility perspective but it does make it rather complicated to figure out exactly which version of a DLL is in use.
You can open up the WSP and then use the timestamps and take a guess at the version but it is not always reliable. Click to read the full post
So, I get an email from a client complaining that their phone icon is not appearing next to some phone numbers in SharePoint but is appearing for others, to which my immediate response was: “What phone icon?”
After some digging, it turns out that this client recently upgraded to Lync 2010 and one of the features in this version of Lync is “Phone Number Detection” that is implemented as an Add on to Internet Explorer. It merely scans the contents of each web page looking for any text that matches a known phone number format. If phone numbers are found, it then injects html into the already loaded html that will display a small phone icon next to the number. This added html also enables the ability to click on that icon and have Lync dial the number for you.
All in all, a pretty handy feature except if you are editing content in SharePoint. You see, Lync has no knowledge of “edit mode” of a SharePoint page so it can’t tell that you are editing content in the page and thus doesn’t know to leave the content alone. Click to read the full post